If you’re looking for the best saddle pad for horses with no withers, you’ve come to the right place.
Saddle pads are an essential piece of tack for any horse, regardless of their conformation. However, when you have a horse with no withers, it is even more important to choose the right saddle pad.
There are a few things you will need to keep in mind when choosing a saddle pad for your horse with no withers. All are discussed in detail in the buyer guide section below.
For example, how well the saddle pad is padded is very important. You need to make sure that the saddle pad is well-padded. This is especially important for horses with no withers because they are more likely to experience saddle soreness.
A well-padded saddle pad will help to protect your horse’s back from the pressure of the saddle.
Looking for a quick answer? The best saddle pad for horses with no withers is the highly rated Weaver Leather Impact-Absorbing saddle pad. The honorable second place belongs to Horze Faux Fur Half Pad.
In addition, having the right size is also important because if the saddle pad is too small, it will not provide enough support and if it is too big, it will be uncomfortable for your horse.
These and a few more key factors are discussed in detail in the buyer guide section below. Be sure to read it before making your final decision.
In this detailed guide, we will also discuss the 5 best saddle pads for horses without withers in 2024. We will look at the different types of saddle pads available and how they can help to protect your horse’s back.
- 1 5 Best Saddle pads for Horses with no Withers 2024
- 2 Buying Guide: These 3 steps will help you to shorten the list of the best saddle pad for horses with no withers
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 FAQ’s
- 4.1 Can a horse have no withers?
- 4.2 Are thicker saddle pads better?
- 4.3 How do I know if my saddle pad is too big or too small?
- 4.4 Do I need a special saddle pad for a horse with no withers?
- 4.5 What are the best saddle pads for horse with no withers?
- 4.6 What are some of the benefits of using a saddle pad?
- 4.7 Are there any downsides to using a saddle pad?
5 Best Saddle pads for Horses with no Withers 2024
As any horse owner knows, finding a saddle that fits both you and your horse can be a challenge. If your horse has no withers, that task can be even harder.
Withers are the protruding bones at the base of a horse’s neck and help the saddle stay in place. Without them, a saddle can slip and cause your horse discomfort.
Fortunately, there are a number of saddle pads available that are specifically designed for horses without withers. These saddle pads can help keep your saddle in place and prevent it from slipping.
Here are five of the best saddle pads for horses without withers:
If you are interested in having a high-quality saddle pad without paying a massive price tag, the Weaver leather impact-absorbing saddle pad is for you. This equestrian saddle pad has luxurious looks.
The breathable Merino wool fleece aids extra comfort to bareback horses with no wither. On top of that, the Herculon fabric is dirt repellant with drying technology to wipe away sweat right away.
The strap for fitting is pretty adjustable with buckles. Per the waist of the horse, adjust the fitting.
- The bareback pad perfectly fits no withered horses.
- Featured quick-drying technology keeps the skin relaxed and dry.
- Breathable fleece fabric helps keep the skin comfortable.
- The featured fitting strap keeps the pad in one place and prevents it from slipping.
- 5/8 inches memory cushion paddings feel super comfortable.
- Even on bumpy tracks, the saddle pad absorbs shocks and skin irritations.
- Dual side double stitching marks the durability of this Weaver leather saddle pad.
- The color combination looks super calming and elegant.
- Merino fleece girth is included with EVA sport foam
This saddle pad works best for neck reining training and riding across the bumpy countryside. The insulated memory cushions absorb shocks and prevent them from injuring the spine.
Horze Fur Half Pad is available in three different colors includes white, black, and Grey.
The best part about this pad design is that it solves minor fitting issues. The design raises the saddle a bit; perfect to fit the saddle pad underneath and secure the fitting.
- The furry edges of the saddle pad prevent it from pinching the skin. Moreover, the edges offer extra comfort
- The non-slipping fleece layer inside prevents the saddle pad from falling over, again and again. The one-place adjustment secures fitting
- The presence of billet straps keeps the saddle pad in one place, even on bumpy tracks
- Polyester/cotton blend with diamond-quilted pattern gives a breathable experience to the skin
- The moisture-wicking technology of the HORZE saddle pad prevents excessive sweating
- The overall weight of the HORZE saddle pad is 1.27 pounds, which is pretty light and does not put much burden on the horse’s back
- The shock absorption capacity of this saddle pad is up to 80-90%
This saddle pad is best for horses with fitting issues. The adjustable strap with buckles makes this saddle best for every horse.
This classic and traditional saddle pad is specially designed to fit hose with no wither. This Best Friend western style saddle pad features moisture-wicking and non-slippery fleece cotton for a snug and secure fitting.
The anti-rub girth protection covering underneath keeps the skin relaxed and prevents pitching and irritations. The high-density filled memory foam gives a comfortable experience not only to the horse; but also to the rider.
- Dirt repellant and moisture-wicking technology keep the horse comfortable even after hours of the ride
- The easy-to-clean feature technology all require a good wipe of five minutes
- Availability of different colors
- Zig-zag double stitching increases the durability of the saddle pad
- The breathable fleece fabric underneath keeps the body temperature moderate and prevents excessive sweating
- Moreover, the non-slippery material secures the fitting even on wide bareback horses with no wither
- The high-density filled memory foam fits a wide range of saddles and absorbs shocks at max.
- A dual stitched adjustable strap with buckles fixes the saddle pad in one place.
Get this saddle pad if your horse has sensitive skin and nothing works for it. The underneath anti-rub girth protection covering keeps the skin relaxed.
This leather saddle pad by Weaver offers the same traditional comfort but with a modern ergonomic design. The design of the Weaver leather saddle pad is contoured with a wool blend to fit effortlessly on the horse bareback.
The 1-inch thick wool pad with memory cushion paddings absorbs shock at max. For additional comfort, the top covering is of leather.
- The topmost leather covering does not put weight on the spine and keeps it straight for strength
- The overall size of the saddle pad measures 30 x 30 inches. This size is perfect to fit a horse with no wither and a wide back
- The contoured style of the pad perfectly fits horses with different back styles
- The moisture-wicking technology prevents the pad from getting wet due to excessive sweating. The dry texture of the saddle pad keeps the skin fresh and relaxed
- The overall weight of the saddle pad is 5 pounds. This weight might cause trouble for some horses that have spine issues
- The best part is; that this saddle pad is recommended for every horse. The unisex design makes this saddle pad suitable for all
This saddle pad works best with English and Western saddles. The leather covering perfectly fits the saddle- giving a comfortable experience to you and your horse.
This handcrafted saddle pad by Diamond wool will take your horse to the next level of comfortableness. The design of this Diamond wool saddle pad is contoured from the top to support the horse’s spine.
This spine support prevents the saddle from pinching the skin and causes spine injuries. The price is undoubtedly a bit high- but seeing the quality we get, it is nothing.
- Double stitching around the edges improves the strength and durability of the saddle pad
- The wool fleece feels super smooth on the skin; even some equestrians claim it as the best saddle pad for horses with no wither
- The wool is pretty thick to absorb shocks, even on a ride on bumpy tracks
- The overall weight is only 2.2 kg to sit effortlessly on bare horseback
- This Diamond wool contour saddle pad measures around 30 x 30 inches, perfect to fit horses with no wither
Have this saddle pad if you have trouble fixing yourself on the horse and suffer from back pain. The insulated cushion paddings support the spine for better fitting.
Buying Guide: These 3 steps will help you to shorten the list of the best saddle pad for horses with no withers
When it comes to saddle pads, there are a few things you’ll need to take into consideration. Here are some factors to keep in mind when purchasing a saddle pad for your horse without withers:
1. Non-Slip Material Saddle Pads
The very first thing I highly recommend to those who have horses with no withers is to look for saddle pads that are made of non-slip material. This is because the main reason that the horses without withers have a hard time keeping their saddles in place is that they don’t have anything for the saddle to grip onto.
In addition, you’ll also want to make sure that the saddle pad is well-padded. This is important for two reasons: first, it will help protect your horse’s back from the saddle; and second, it will provide a more comfortable ride for both you and your horse.
2. Pad Size
The next thing to look at is the size of the saddle pad. You’ll need to make sure the saddle pad is big enough to cover the entire area where the saddle will be placed. Also, a thicker saddle pad will provide more cushioning and support for your horse.
3. Saddle Pad Material
Horse saddle pads are typically made from cotton, wool, or synthetic materials. Each type of material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Cotton is a breathable material that is often used in summer saddle pads. However, it can absorb sweat and is not as durable as other materials.
Wool is a natural material that is very durable and breathable. It is often used in winter saddle pads. However, it can be a bit pricey.
Synthetic materials are often cheaper than natural materials. They are also very durable and easy to care for. However, they are not as breathable as natural materials and can cause your horse to sweat more.
Along with these factors you can consider also the color of the saddle pad and price. Saddle pads come in a variety of colors, so you can choose one that best suits your horse’s personality. And a Saddle pad can range in price from around $30 to $200, depending on the quality and features.
A saddle pad is a necessity for any horse, but it’s especially important for horses without withers. By keeping the buying factors in mind, you can be sure to find the best saddle pad for your horse. Again I would highly suggest you look for a saddle pad with non-slip material. This will ensure that your horse is comfortable and that the saddle stays in place. I’ve also listed the top five best saddle pads on the market, so be sure to check those out as well.
Can a horse have no withers?
Yes, some horses are born without withers or they may be shaved down so that they appear to have no withers.
Are thicker saddle pads better?
Not necessarily. A thicker saddle pad may provide more cushioning, but it can also make the saddle feel bulkier and less stable. It’s important to find a balance that works for both you and your horse.
How do I know if my saddle pad is too big or too small?
A: If the saddle pad is too big, it will bunch up under the saddle and cause friction. If the saddle pad is too small, it won’t provide enough cushioning and may put pressure on your horse’s back.
Do I need a special saddle pad for a horse with no withers?
Not necessarily. You may want to consider a saddle pad with extra padding in the front to help protect your horse’s back, but there are many saddle pads on the market that will work well for horses without withers.
What are the best saddle pads for horse with no withers?
While there are a number of factors to consider when purchasing a saddle pad, some of the best saddle pads for horses without withers include those made by Wintec, Pessoa, and Equine Couture. Each of these brands offers a variety of saddle pad options that are specifically designed for horses without withers, and they all provide excellent support and comfort.
What are some of the benefits of using a saddle pad?
Saddle pads offer a number of benefits for both horses and riders. They provide cushioning and support, which can help prevent saddle sores and discomfort. They also absorb shock, protect the horse’s back from rubbing, and help keep the saddle in place.
Are there any downsides to using a saddle pad?
While saddle pads offer many benefits, there are a few potential downsides to consider as well. First, they can add weight to the saddle, which may be an issue for some horses. Second, they can trap heat and moisture against the horse’s skin, which can lead to chafing or irritation. Finally, if not properly cared for, saddle pads can become breeding grounds for bacteria or fungi.